VERSE OF THE DAY

Monday, June 13, 2005

What of RPG Junkies?

Children! Children trapped in young adult bodies - are those who drown themselves in the virtual world of the role-playing game.

Lost in the imaginary, eyes stuffed with wonder, or is it wistfulness?

For they are not satisfied with this real life they are living! But is that so shocking? Every human soul yearns for more than this (at one time or another). But what we have to hold are images of Heaven and a great satisfaction knowing this life is a superb Adventure with great purpose! And that being just as it is - absent of faeries and dragons and trolls and elves. But, present of demons and angels and great bone-to-flesh spiritual power!

I pity those who do not truly live because they are lost in a parallel world - exciting, energizing - but temporal and actually non-existenct. If their eyes were opened - they could feed their eyes and imagination on the possibilities of a supernatural life in the presence of God...battling demons, building up the limitless power of Christ in themselves and others. These would make the best Christians - warriors not slack in their Work, because they'd recognize that they are on the winning side - the side of power - and they could envision victory as a real option...with faith like little children.

Lord, scoop these people up so they may serve you and not Satan, or themselves.

Comments:
I happen to be a fan of the RPG genre. I think they are the best video games, however, I do not live my life through the character. I take exception to your generalization.

Cloud Strife
 
RPGs are addicting and annoying after awile. Because you're so addicted that once you have nothing else to do and you go on, you just sit there doing nothing. Bleh, I dont know.
 
Why do you target RPGs? Why not broaden your horizon and target the whole game playing community? Or better yet, entertainment in general. I mean why have fun at all...

I am mostly just kidding... But I do fail to see a difference between role-playing and many other forms of entertainment. I think its unjust to target RPGs and not other forms of entertainment. RPGs just happen to be an interactive story, in a land amid many many stories.
 
The thing is, I know people who have made role-playing their entire life - they've turned it into a false reality where their real life is no longer interesting to them.

Other forms of entertainment can, of course, have a similar effect. I'm sure their are people who would obsess about their favorite television show so much that forget to cherish their own lives. Yes, there exists that strange sect of old ladies that can't stop talking about the people in the soaps as if they are their best friends.

I targeted these gamers because I've observed that those who get into RPGs tend to lose their sense of reality quite easily - well, at least more than someone who is infatuated with most other forms of entertainment. That probably has something to do with role-playings imaginative qualities.

I'm not insinuating that RPGs are ungodly, but they can be like anything else that takes too high of a priority in life. And, there are a massive amount of people who ARE addicted beyond reason. I enjoy these people a lot, however. I love that RPGs involve exploration, strategy, storytelling. When it becomes an addiction, it is at least an intelligent addiction (usually). I don't recommend any addictions though.
 
Amen to being a Warrior of the Lord! It is very true that our lives are great adventures when seen through the eyes of the Spiritual realm (spelling???) but I do love the occasional escape to a world of fiction. I love to read and I like video games too (although I just can't get interested in an RPG no matter how hard I try.) and I don't see a problem with any other form of relaxation or entertainment as long as it is done in moderation. I agree with Jac-atac that when it becomes an addiction, it is time to stop.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is 

powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?